Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Summer Squash and Tofu Noodles

I did tell you Summer squash was our cooking inspiration this week right? It's so cheap.  So, run with it.  When something is in season take advantage of it.

Also, do not fear the TOFU NOODLES!!!
If you make them right you will never feel the need to eat regular pasta again.  They smell funny before you rinse them, but so do people before the bathe.  Run with it.

Ps..there is cheese in this and prepacked ingredients so I have no right calling it Paleo.

Ingredients:
  1. 1 Medium Size Squash, skin on and sliced thin
  2. 1 Small White or Yellow Onion, diced
  3. 1 Cup Baby Carrots (or big ones, I just happened to have baby carrots) diced.
  4. 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  5. 2 gloves garlic
  6. 1 Package Tofu Noodles like this picture to the left <------ or right, if your dyslexic. I use the Fettuccine ones
  7. Spices--assorted like Parsley,  Salt, Pepper, Crushed Red Pepper
  8. 2 cups tomato sauce (your preference or homemade)
  9. Basil and Parmesan Cheese (if desired)

    (I'll teach you how to make homemade sauce one day, but today is not that day)
 You will notice that I am showing you a picture of the vegetables after I diced them. I did this before Crossfit to save time when I got home at night and was making dinner. Plus, if your reading this I want to believe you have some basic knowledge of cooking and I don't have to show you how to cut vegetables.  If you don't I suggest you want a tutorial on youtube.
Directions:
  1. Heat one tbsp olive oil in a medium depth sauce pan (ie my Sunday sauce pan) over medium heat.
  2. Throw in your sliced vegetables and cook until they begin to brown, about 10 minutes or so like so: 
  3. Peel and dice both garlic cloves.  Saute with vegetables for 1-2 minutes or until garlic begins to become translucent, but not brown (brown means burnt which is bitter garlic--no one marries the woman who gives them bitter garlic in their food). 
  4. Add salt and pepper.  I don't know how big your phalanges are so I won't tell you tbsp or tsp--just pinch it dammit.
  5. Reduce heat to low and add 2 cups of sauce. Continuously stir and add pinches of spices--remember you are already added salt and peppa (not the singing group from the 90's). Pinch of dis, pinch of dat.  Monitor your pinches--one thing about spices is once they are in they can't be taken out.. 2 pinches of parsley, and a half pinch of red pepper flakes-a pinch of both should do it. Look at my pinchies:
  6. Allow sauce to cook on low and covered, adding small amounts (1/4 cup) of water if needed for 20 minutes.
  7. While that's happening read the back of the Tofu Noodle Package--it warns you about the "natural aroma".  No, I'm not kidding..look.
  8. While cooking the sauce cut open your Tofu Noodle package and throw your noods in a strainer in the sink.  
  9. Pinch your nose,I AM NOT KIDDING.  If you don't you won't want to eat the noods, but that's the best part!  So what they stink, remember my reference earlier to stinky people? 
  10.  Wash the tofu noodles for 2-3 minutes in hot water in the strainer.  Use your fingers to mix them up as you wash:
11.  After rinsing shake out the water.  Sometimes I dry them with a paper towel but it's not really necessary for this.
12.  Add the noodles to your sauce and mix in well with tongs.  Cook for 1-2 minutes
13. You are done! And so is dinner.  Add parsley and cheese for garnish if you would like.  One package of tofu noodles feeds two people typically, especially with all of these vegetables. Really, you can use any vegetables but Squash is in season and I had carrots.  Use what you want, but def don't shun the Tofu Noodle.  One time and you will become a believer.  


No comments:

Post a Comment