I highly encourage you to use the zest, and use citrus zest whenever possible. The house of flavor and the depth it adds is phenomenal.
Skillet Lemon Garlic Chicken
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: About 30 minutes
Four chicken breast
1/4 cup flour
4 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons parsley, divided
1 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup room temperature whole milk s
Salt and pepper for seasoning
1. Preheat the oven to 375°.
2. Heat a large oven safe skillet with 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium high heat.
3. Allow the oil to heat from 5 to 7 minutes until searing hot. While the oil is heating pounds are four chicken breasts even thickness.
4. On a plate add the flour and just want to tire lemon into the flour, mix well with a fork.
5. Season the chicken breast on both side liberally with salt-and-pepper.
6. Begin dipping the chicken into your flour mixture and shake off excess flour. One by one until the chicken breasts are covered in flour. Add chicken breasts one by one into the hot skillet as you complete flouring them.
7. Allow chicken to brown on both sides for 5 total minutes. Do not worry about cooking the chicken breast completely through, as you will finish it in the oven.
8. Dice garlic and set aside while chicken is cooking.
9. Remove chicken to a plate and allow to rest on a plate covered with tinfoil.
10. Reduce heat to medium low and add the garlic, scrape up any bits left on the bottom of the pan.
11. Once garlic is fragrant about 1 to 2 minutes, add red pepper flakes, the juice of the lemon you already zested, 1 teaspoon of parsley, and one and a half cups of chicken broth.
12. Return heat to high and allow to cook and reduced by about half, that should take about 7 to 10 minutes.
13. Once reduced remove the pan from the heat and whisk in 1/2 cup room temperature whole milk. Do not allow the milk and chicken broth to come back to a boil.
14. Add one tablespoon of butter to the middle of the pan.
15. Add chicken breast and any collected drippings on the plate back into the skillet.
16. Place in oven for 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
17. Remove from oven and garnish with the zest of a lemon and remaining parsley.
18. Serve with fresh lemon wedges over rice or pasta :)