Sunday, October 4, 2015

Korean Beef and Rice

Hands down,  this is legit my new go to.  I was so sad when all of the prepped meals were gone this week.  It literally, almost maybe kinda brought me to tears.  Zachy loved it too.  And,  I am so glad he did.  But,  secretly in a deep dark place in my heart I wished I had kept it all for myself.  

This is so easy.  like 10 EASY PEASY steps and it's perfection.  Absolute perfection.  One morning I even ate it for breakfast.  That's how damn good it is.    Although it's traditionally Korean,  it kind of reminds me of a Chinese food meal.  Like,  if you were craving greasy fattening deep fried food from your local China eatery,  this just might hit the spot.  If you were craving Wonton Soup,  just go get it from your local China eatery.  There is no replacement on earth for that.  MARK MY WORDS.

You could add a slew of veggies to make this like a stir-fry,  but honestly I sometimes prefer my food plain during the week...and easy.  I ate mine with a tomato, onion,  cucumber salad so my veggies were accomplished anyways.  This was done in 50 minutes total with the rice.  If you had precooked rice and microwaved it this recipe might take a total of 10 minutes.

This recipe is neither clean nor paleo, but you could make it so.  The sugar is minimal compared to how much this recipe actually makes--but delete it if you must.  It adds a nice sweetness and stickiness to the meat, and honestly who don't love sweet meat?  I am not a big fan of omitting all of one food from your diet entirely.  I think sugar,  in moderation,  has it's place. For me the place is if I don't occasionally eat it I will gorge on it in the form of gummy candy.  Then I will vomit due to my insulin level being through the roof,  then I will do it again.  Minimal amounts of sugar in my cooking (like in my gravy) keeps me from getting crazy.


Korean Beef and Rice
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 50 minutes (unless you use minute rice, then 10 minutes)
Serves: 7-8

Ingredients
Your choice of rice,  enough to serve 1/2 each per serving of beef
2lb of 80/20 Ground Beef
3 large garlic cloves, diced tiny
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp sesame oil-- plus more for serving
1 tsp red pepper flakes 
1 tsp ground ginger
2 large bunches of green onion (this is a must!!)


Directions:

1.  Cook rice according to package directions,  I prefer Basmati.  But any rice will do.

2.  Wait for rice to almost be done,  like take a nap or something.

3.  In a large nonstick saucepan cook the 2 lbs of beef over medium heat for 5-7 minutes, or until no longer pink.

5.  Drain off fat from meat and place back on the stove top over medium heat.

6.  To the meat add in:  garlic, brown sugar, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, ground ginger, and sesame oil.

7.  Stir until well incorporated and sugar has melted.

8.  Allow to cook for 5 minutes until all ingredients have incorporated.    It will become a beautiful dark brown when it's all incorporated,  and even will be a little sticky.


9.  Serve with a good heap of green onion on top (I hold mine over each and cut with scissors to let it fall over top). Serve over 1/2 or 1 cup of  chosen rice (Zach got 1 cup,  I got 1/2).

10.  Final and most important step is to drizzle Sesame Oil over each meal for an added ZINNNNNGGGGGGG.




No comments:

Post a Comment