Ingredients for Empanadas: Servings--6
- Three large chicken breasts--about 1lb
- Mexican Everyday Green Chile Garlic Enchilada Packet
- 6 wheat tortillas
- 1 can black beans
- 1 egg white
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Avocado Spread (recipe to follow)
- Diced tomatoes and red onion if desired
- Spray crock pot with Pam or rub with oil to avoid sticking.
- Place three chicken breasts in crock pot side by side without overlapping if possible and sprinkle with a pinchie of salt of pepper, like so:
Let me give you reasons why:
1. The fat will decipate as the meat (pork, chicken breast, lamb) cooks on low, basting the chicken as it cooks and keeping it mositurized.
2. Cutting the fat off will cause the meat to come out dry like the Griswold's on Christmas Eve when they cut into their turkey.
3. When you shred the meat there most likely won't be any fat left because it melted and basted the meat. If there is some, and it will be miniscule, you can remove it when you shred it.
The lesson here is---NEVER REMOVE THE FAT UNTIL AFTER COOKING!!! Funny cooking story--the first time I ever cooked for my family I made pork chops in the over and I cut all the fat off because it looked gross. The pork chops, while still edible, came out like beef jerky you needed a saw to cut. Everyone just chewed really hard and loudly while smiling at my 13 year old self.
Back to the directions:
3. Pour enchilada sauce over the chicken.
4. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours (the time you may be at work!)
5. After 6-7 hours remove the lid and shred the chicken with tongs--that's the beauty of the fat being cooked with the meat, it will make the meat tender and just fall apart with a touch:
7. Turn off crock pot and take about 2-2 1/2 cups of chicken out and place in a separate bowl to cool. (use the rest for left overs for another meal!!)
8. Open can of black beans and rinse in a strainer.
9. Dice tomatoes and red onions if you desire that in your Empanadas. You can also add some low fat shredded cheese if you'd like too!
11. Set up your work station:
14. cover a baking sheet with tin foil and set aside. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
15. Begin stuffing your empanadas: 1/4 cup chicken, half handful of beans, half handful of tomatos, half handful of red onions, whatever else you want to add. Just, don't over stuff.
16. Fold the right side up toward the left, covering the stuffing, like this:
Use egg whites to seal the edges shut. Hold down on the edges for 30 seconds pretty firmly so it doesn't come undone all loosey goosey like.
17.For the sides fold in the two corners like your wrapping a gift, like so:
18. Fold in both sides, sealing with egg whites as you go. Then fold that entire side in:
20. Once all 6 are stuffed and closed heat 1/4 cup vegetable oil over high heat until it crackles--about 1-2 minutes. Why vegetable oil? Because it has a higher smoke point than extra virgin olive oil. Every try to make cutlets with extra virgin olive oil? You will just end up smoking up your house and setting off the fire alarm. If you don't have vegetable oil then canola oil works as well.
21. Place 2 empanadas at a time seam side down in the oil to flash fry for 1 minute.
25. Wait 20 seconds and add two more to the oil. Why wait? If you place them in right away the temperature of the oil has not risen back to high. Every time you place something in oil it lowers the temperature of the oil. So wait a couple seconds or end up with soggy empanadas. Where did I get all of this knowledge? I don't know.
26. When all 6 empanadas are done place them in the over for about 20 minutes. Flipping half way though.
THE INSIDES WILL BE SUPER HOT
1. 1/4 cup fat free sour cream
2. 2 quirts lime juice
3. salt and pepper
4. One whole Avocado
1. Place all ingredients in a food processor.
3. Process for 2-3 minutes until well combined.
Serve with Empanadas.
I know it seems like a lot of steps, but that's just because I broke it down into every single fold. I was honestly able to stuff and fold every single Empanada in under 2 minutes. When I do it again I will definitely add low fat shredded cheese to make it gooey-er.