Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Gluten Free Summer Veggie Flat Breads

I love Pizza. It reminds me of when I was in Italy.  That pizza is amazing.  If I ever raise $10,000 I'll go back and eat pizza everyday at least once a day.  But, that's not healthy.  Dangit.  So--let's make a pizza out of a gluten free flat bread.  Stick with me and I'll make it not suck. 

Oh and remember last post I said squash was our summer inspiration this week for cooking--I wasn't kidding : )  I have another meal planned for this week with it--stay tuned. I love it because it's delicious, if prepared right, and it's dirt cheap because it's in season.  Get it local though, the supermarkets will jack up the price around this time. 

So, what you'll need.

  1. 1 Green Squash
  2. 3 tbsp olive oil--divided
  3. 2 Gluten Free Flat Breads
  4. 1/2 pound Mushrooms, I used Cermani but you use your favorite 
  5. 2 cups spring mix of your choice, I used arugula mix because I like the spice. 
  6. 1 Package Pre-sliced Pepperoni package
  7. 2 small garlic cloves, diced and divided
  8. Tomato or Pizza Sauce of your choice (I used our left overs from the cabbage rolls)
  9. Seasoning--garlic salt, crushed red pepper (if you like spice), oregano,  salt, pepper, etc.    Don't worry I'll talk you through that. 


    Also, did you notice my tbsp and tsp are kind of all over the place? I don't believe in measuring spoons--so I just write that so you guys don't freak out. When cooking, go with what your heart tells you will be good. Don't get hung up on measuring--unless your baking. It's apparently important for baking,  which I learned the hard way.
Here are the flat bread brand I used, but you can use any kind you like.   Wegman's has their own brand as well which is probably much cheaper than this one.  The bakery has it's own website www.amaranthbakery.com  It's pretty cool, they have all Gluten Free products--they are located in Lancaster, PA.  They are also at the Collingswood Farmers Market every Saturday morning with all their delicious smelling goods. 
Directions:
1. Preheat the over to 400 degrees while you prepare your pizza toppings.
2. Place one tbsp olive olive into one nonstick pan and heat on medium low.
3. Wipe off dirt from mushrooms (never soak and wash mushrooms) and slice in half.  Place 2 cups spring or arugula mix with mushrooms and garlic in the pan.  Sautee 10 minutes until the mushrooms get a little crispy and the arugula wilts to look like spinach.
4. As this mix is cooking add any spices youd like--I added 1 tbsp parsley, 1 tsp red chilli flakes, and 1 tsp garlic salt. It will look like this as it cooks:
5.  As this pan is cooking, if your stove is big enough, heat another tbsp of olive oil over medium low heat. 
6. Slice squash thin with skin still on.  Mix with garlic, salt, and pepper.  Place in second pan like this:
7. Heat over medium low heat for 5-6 minutes until squash starts to brown.  Flip as it browns.
8. After about 6 minutes add 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce or pizza sauce, mixing as it cooks so it does not burn.  Add 2-3 tbsp of water to the sauce as it cooks. 
Don't just walk away as this cooks for another 10 minutes. It'll burn and youll be stuck with goop.  GOOP I'M TELLING YOU!!!  Keep an eye on it.

9. As you are keeping an eye on your squash and sauce prepare the 2 flat breads with the one tbsp of oil left.  Pour half of  the tbsp on each flat bread on a lined baking sheet--like so
10.  Rub it in with your fingers. Don't be dainty about it, you can always wash your hands.  No need to act like a wuss in the kitchen.
11.  Add your toppings as you like.  I put argula and mushrooms on one and squash sauce mix with pepperoni on the other. I put the pepperoni on top because it's salty and delicious as it cooks and gets all crispy.
12.  Place in over for 10-15 minutes, keeping an eye on it.  Pull out and they should look like this:
YUMMM!!!!!!!

13. The final step to crisp up the bottom is to throw them back on just the rack at 400 degrees for 2-3 minutes.  Make sure they don't burn.
Why didn't I do this from the beginning?  Well, I don't have a pizza stone.  Maybe someone should buy me one--HINT HINT GIORDANO'S!!  Also, they are a little flimsy before they cook.  So, if you try to pick one up and put it on the rack uncooked it will be flippidy flamming all over and will most likely just fall.  Then you'll be hungry. So you'll order a large pizza with pineapples and ham from Domino's.  You'll eat too much.  You'll hate yourself. Endless cycle. SO FOLLOW MY DIRECTIONS YOU HEAR!?!?!


14. Remove from oven and let cool for 1 minute.
15. Slice into halves or fourths. I am not going to tell you how to cut your pizza.  I don't know you so no judgie. 

Maybe make this for your next dinner party.  Your guests will be jelly (jealous) of your mad cooking skills.  Also, you can tell them it's healthy and locally grown--if you keep it real like I did.


No comments:

Post a Comment