Monday, September 23, 2013

Grandmom Evelyn's Beef Soup

Grandmom Evelyn's Beef Soup 
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time-4-5 hours
Serves- 8-10


Remember I told you I love soup? This soup is probably the reason.  My great grandmother used to make this soup and since then I have been obsessed. As a matter of fact, I ask my dad to make it for me frequently.  He loves me very much so he complies with my requests :).  This soup is not for the faint of heart as it has one ingredient you may not be familiar with.  But, it's super simple and requires little TLC--set it and forget it. 

Let me tell me about my parents, since I talk about them often.  They are affectionately called Big Joe and DD. 
My Dad is actually the spitting image of Mr. Clean. He's bald and has big muscular arms. When I was a kid all of my friends were terrified of him, because he was muscular talked loud and is a cop.  He's the chief of police now.  My mom, she's a nurse in a heart center.  Growing up I was never scared of my father, he's a softy and he has a big heart when it comes to his kids.  My dad taught me how to cook and it's a passion we both share.   We love to cook and we love to feed other people.

My mom is actually more stern then my father.  She has this way of talking to you when you've done something wrong that makes you question your motives in the first place.  My sister now does it sometimes and it drives me insane.  My parents never spanked us or yelled at us, they just talked to us in such a way that we were instantly sorry.

Regardless, my parents did a fantastic job with us.  They raised 3 successful children.  My sister is a Social Worker and works for the Gift of Life Family House and my brother is pursuing his doctorate and is an FBI Agent.  Sounds made up, but it isn't.  My parents are proof you don't have to spank your kids to raise them to be respectful, hard working adults.

In my family Sunday night dinner is a scared practice.  It happens at my parents house, every Sunday, around 6:00pm mostly.  I think I have missed one of these dinners total.   It's really my dad's day to shine and show off his cooking skills. And this Sunday, was no exception to that.


Ingredients:
One package Beef Bottom Chuck Roast, dice it in large chunks
One Shoulder roast, dice it in large chunks
One package Beef Short Ribs
6 Beef Bones

1 whole package celery, diced
1/ white onion, diced

2 cans diced carrots, drained
46 oz can Beef Broth
35 oz can Diced Tomato

1 1/2tbsp Salt
1  tbsp Pepper
3 tbsp Chicken Bullion

2 Boxes of your preferred Pasta, Ours is Barilla Farfalle


Now, I went to the Amish Market and bought the beef bones. However, big Joe sited you really should have knuckle bones. Alas, it's not what I bought. He's the chef so I don't argue. 

Directions:
1. In a large soup pot place all of the diced vegetables (except the canned carrots).
2. On top of that layer the diced beef (don't cut off the fat!)---all of it.
3. Pour in the can of beef stock.
4. Cover the meet in water.

5. Set on stove to bring to a boil.
6. While the soup is waiting to boil throw in the canned tomatoes, canned carrots (drained), chicken bouillon, salt, and pepper.

7. Allow to come to a soft boil for 4-5 hours.

8. After about 4-5 hours (you can tell if it's done if the meat falls apart) cook the pasta in a separate pot according to the package directions.
9. Remove the meat and bones from the soup and serve in a large family style bowl where everyone gets to pick their own meat.
10.  Place pasta in soup broth with vegetables and serve!

BAM, THAT'S IT!!!

This soup is amazing.  Some children are reminded of their childhoods because of vacations they took with their family, I'm reminded of my childhood by food.  My father is cooking to me.  When I think of Big Joe I think of Spaghetti and Clams (a staple in his house), soup, and hot dogs and beans (which I still to this day would not go out of my way to eat).  I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment