Clean Vegetable Soup
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Hearty, tomato-y, and delcious
1. 8 cups Homemade Chicken Stock (or organic if you must buy)
2. 18oz Can Organic Diced Tomatos
3. 6 cups organic carrots, diced
4. 6 cups organic celery, diced
5. 2 medium white onions, diced
6. 2 bay leaves
7. 1 tbsp olive oil
8. 1 tbsp Salt and 1 tbsp Pepper
1. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot. Throw into the oil all of the vegetables. Allow the vegetables to cook over medium high heat for 6-7 minutes or until translucent. In my experience this helps to "wake up" the vegetables in the soup.
2. Place 2 bay leaves in with vegetables. Season mixture with 1/2 tbsp salt and 1/2 tbsp pepper.
3. Pour in chicken stock and entire can of diced tomatoes, including the juice from can.
4. Season again with remaining salt and pepper.
5. Allow the soup to come to a boil and turn it down to low heat. Allow soup to cook for 2-3 hours on low.
6. Remove bay leaves
This soup is easy and delicious. It freezes and stores well in the refrigerator. It would be great paired with a protein (like chicken or beef), or a gluten free or wheat pasta (I prefer wheat pasta). I also added a whole bag of spinach, but that is optional---doesn't really add flavor just more vegetables. If you like your vegetables a little more crunchy under cook the soup by about an hour. My mom says if your soup is crunchy it makes you think you are eating more, I don't know if I believe that.