Friday, November 29, 2013

Paleo Brussel Sprouts and Pancetta

So,  Brussel Sprouts can  be super boring.  Not this version of them.  When I was in college and poor (not much has changed)  I used to buy the steam in a bag brussel sprouts and just eat them like that.  Now, I look back and I think wow how I loved eating boiled cardboard.  Now that I am older and occasionally have an extra $10.00's, occasionally I said, this is the way I go for brussel sprouts.  I'd honestly just eat these as an entire meal.

Oh, and by the way, Pancetta is a fancy name for Italian Bacon. It's fabulous, but not too cheap---around $5.00 for 3 ounces. I made this for Thanksgiving and was a dummy who went to the store the day before Thanksgiving.  I couldn't find diced pancetta in Acme, and shoprite was out of the question since I drove around the parking lot for 20 minutes trying to find a spot, f that.  So..I had to buy sliced pancetta and dice it myself.  It's usually in the deli section with all of the meats and cheeses.  Sometimes it's hanging in a display next to the pepperoni, prosciutto, and stuff.  With that being said--if you can't find it, regular bacon works just as well.

Paleo Brussel Sprouts and Pancetta
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25-30minutes
Serves: 3-4


Ingredients:
2 lbs Brussel Sprouts (or two bags)
2 Cloves Garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
3-6 ounces Pancetta, diced preferably
Cocnut Oil or Cooking Spray
2 tsp salt

Directions:
1.  Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a rimmed baking sheet with tin foil.
2. While the oven is preheating cut the stems off the brussel sprouts and cut in half.
3. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium high heat.  
4. A pound at a time sautee the brussel sprouts for 5-7 minutes or until they become bright green. Throw one half spread out on the baking sheet and cook the other following the same above direction.

5. Put the diced pancetta and 2 diced garlic cloves in the sautee pan dry for 3-5 minutes.
6. Sprinkle on top of the brussel sprouts.

7. Bake for 25-30 minutes flipping them to the other side about halfway through.

SERVE.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment