Wednesday, March 11, 2015

My name is Jeanine Rieck, and Pull Ups will not Defeat Me

Jeanine's story starts rather ordinarily.  It starts like most of ours did.   But,  I saw something in Jeanine.  She was willing to listen,  and she was willing to learn.  Jeanine never said "I can't" when I was yelling from below her while she hung on the pull up bar.  I've seen Jeanine PR,  and I've seen her fail.  But,  I've never seen her quit.  This is her story... 
3.....2....1....GO

In June of 2014 Jason Griscom reached out to my husband Rob, about having his lacrosse team sign up to do the kid’s CrossFit summer program.  Some of his players signed up, so my husband showed up for their first workout at CrossFit Solstice, and he ended up working out with them.  When he came home that afternoon, the first thing he said to me was “we have to do this, you will love it!” That next week we were signed up to do the On Ramp program
My stomach was in knots on the car ride to my first workout.  I was anxious and scared.  Honestly, I was scared I couldn't cut it. Upon arriving to CrossFit Solstice, everyone there was so welcoming.  The coaches and the people were encouraging and supportive my first day, which subsided all of my fears.  The first lift I learned there was the snatch, and I can remember trying to get the technique down with a PVC pipe thinking to myself “you want me to do what?” After I had finished the workout I was dripping sweat and my legs were having involuntary muscle spasms, but I was hooked. The next day when I woke up, I felt like I had been hit by a mac truck, but I couldn’t wait to do it again.  This along with many other workouts is what led me to my first CrossFit Open.

          I had watched the CrossFit Games on ESPN in the past while sitting on my couch, probably eating ice cream or drinking a beer, and thinking how amazing these athletes were, and how I could probably never to the “things” that they are doing.    I was very nervous going into 15.2, knowing that I have never done a pull up on my own, but I thought maybe today is the day. When I got there to warm up, Elyse was so helpful and supportive, and kept encouraging me. Dave and Justin were so helpful and patient with me as always, so I thought ok, maybe I can just “throw” my chin over that bar today.   I went in, banged out my 6 OHS without a problem, and then came the pull up. Well it was wishful thinking, and I wasn’t able to get that one pull up in.  I was frustrated and of course disappointed, but now I know that it is something I need to work on, and that eventually I will get it.  

        I was grateful that Justin had me work on them even after time was up.  Honestly, all of your encouragement from Dave and Justin have really helped me know “I will get this.”   I was so happy to hear that a lot of people (including my husband) PR their pull ups during 15.2. Yes as cheesy as it sounds, I was so excited that my husband got 7 pull-ups in and when he told me I was yelling in the car “Oh my god that is so awesome!” I must have high fived him like 5 times! 


I had been trying to lose weight and get in shape ever since I had given birth to my younger son. I could not find a program or lifestyle that worked long term, until I found CrossFit.  CrossFit has made me feel so much better about myself. I have lost weight and inches, but most importantly I have gained so much strength. I get excited purchasing nano’s, lifters, and Rouge attire now.  I am absolutely hooked.  Since completing the 28 day challenge, I love eating clean and seeing all of the amazing benefits it has on my performance and health!

 CrossFit has changed my life in the best possible way. I finally feel like an athlete again, and I love competing with myself.  I look forward to coming to the box, and seeing everyone there.  The people who work out at CrossFit Solstice are amazing, and I have never been a part of something where everyone there really wants you to do well.  Everyone cheers you on and motivates you and I love cheering my fellow “teammates” on as well. I can’t say enough great things about the people of CrossFit Solstice. My husband and I love when we can get a date night to work out together, and when I PR I can’t wait to rush home to tell him! 

All of the coaches at CrossFit Solstice are amazing.  They are so patient and supportive and truly want you to do your best and succeed.  Justin Vee and Kate Conneen have helped me tremendously! Their patience, knowledge, and encouragement have helped me more than words could express.  I could never thank them enough for all they have done for me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment