So, traditionally this is served in tacos. I don't have tortillas, nor can I go to the store during Snowmageddon. In South Jersey right now, we at least have 10 inches (that's what she said). If you'd prefer to serve this amazing meat in tacos, do so, just omit the black beans. I used black beans to add carbs so the meal would be balanced.
So seriously, make this. You wont regret it. Your wasting time. The snow is falling fast. The world is ending. It's snowmageddon. There isn't time left. Would you take more seriously if this were the zombie apocalypse? GO GO GO GO.
Beef Barbacoa with Black Beans
Prep: 15-20 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
3lb Chuck Roast
4 garlic cloves
Small White Onion, diced
3 Chiptoles in Adobo, plus 3 tbsp of sauce from can
2 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tbsp Tomato Paste
1/2 cup Lime Juice
1 cup Beef Broth
1 tbsp Cumin
1 tbsp Oregano
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Black Pepper
3 Bay Leaves
1 can Black Beans, rinsed
1. Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat, for about 3-5 minutes until searing.
2. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
3. Add 3lb chuck roast and brown on each side for 3-4 minutes.
3. While the chuck roast is browning, add Chipoltes with adobe, 4 garlic gloves, and 1 tbsp of tomato paste to a food processor. Pulse all until a paste has formed.
5. In a small bowl mix the paste you created, salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, apple cider vinegar, beef broth, and lime juice. Whisk well.
6. When the roast has browned on all sides, add diced onion to the dutch oven.
7. Allow diced onions to cook until translucent stirring frequently for about 3 minutes.
8. Add sauce you created to the pan and 3 bay leaves.
9. Add lid to dutch oven and put into the oven. Allow to cook for 3 1/2 hours at 300 degrees.
10. At around 3 1/2 hours rinse black beans well in a strainer.
11. After 3 1/2 hours remove from oven and remove lid.
12. Remove bay leaves and shred meat using two forks. Stir shredded meat back into the sauce making sure all of the meat is coated.
13. Stir in black beans.
14. Allow to cook for 30 more minutes uncovered.
15. Serve :)