Italian Turkey Burgers with Pesto
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes
1 pound ground turkey, I prefer not Shop Rite brand
1 cup of Roasted red peppers
3 garlic cloves
1 tbsp Oregano
1 tbsp Parsley
1 tbsp Thyme
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
1/4 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
6 ounces of Fresh Mozzerella
6 slices of Tomato (Hot House, Jersey)
1 Tbsp Olive Oil or Coconut Oil for cooking
Ingredients for the Pesto:
4 Garlic Cloves
2 cups of Fresh Spinach
1 cup of Fresh Basil
3 tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 cup Pine Nuts
1 tsp salt, and more to taste
1. First, preheat your cast iron skillet over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until water scatters on it.
2. As the skillet is heating, put your turkey in a large bowl you can mix with your hands.
3. To the turkey add all of the spices, 1 egg, and panko bread crumbs. Do not mix yet.
4. In a food processor put 1 cup of roasted red peppers and 3 garlic cloves. Process on medium high until the mixture is soupy, but kind of still chunky. Pour in the bowl with the turkey.
5. Mix the turkey mixture with your hands and form 6 4 ounce patties.
6. Put 1 tbsp of oil of choice in the skillet and immediately put in the patties, to reduce smoking of the oil.
7. Preheat the oven to 300.
8. Allow to brown on each side, about 7 minutes. You want your burger to have a nice crispy crust.
9. Once the burgers are browned on each side place into the 300 degree oven to finish cooking, about 8-10 minutes.
10. While the burgers are in the oven, start on your pesto.
11. Pesto is super easy--- put all of the ingredients in the food processor, except the oil.
12. Process all of the foods while slowly adding the oil.
13. Process until your mixture is thick, but scoopable. Add oil to loosen, and salt to taste.
14. Once the burgers are cooked through, switch the oven to broil and move the rack up close to the heat.
15. Add one tomato slice and one ounce of cheese to each burger. Broil for 3-5 minutes until cheese is melted.
16. Top each with a tbsp of pesto and serve :)