Monday, June 23, 2014

Spicy Garlic Shrimp "Fried" Rice

It would be hard for me to look back on my childhood and name one dish that didn't have garlic in it.  Everything had garlic. Every meal also had a refined carbohydrate--like ditalitini, bowties,  Rice-a-Roni (the new jersey treat), etc.     It was amazing.  Except my dad really loved making hot dogs and beans,  and I think he began experimenting and adding garlic and red wine.  No.  Not good.  Stay in your lane dad.

My dad is an amazing cook.  I get my passion for cooking from him.  My mom can bake well.  My sister inherited that from her. I do not bake.  I hate baking.  I despise baking.  Too many ingredients, directions, and measuring.  I cannot physically measure correctly.  When I give you measurements on here I give my best estimate (unless it's oil, I always measure that because it has a lot of calories).

 One time I made cookie bars,  and they were so hard I had to let them soak in water for two days in the sink just to get them out of my favorite glass friggan pan.  I still have that pan.  I use it to cook whole chickens.  Not cookie bars.  Not cakes.  Not cookies.  Not anything with jimmies.  I will leave the baking up to you my friends.  I am however,  really good at those no bake recipes.  Like--snickers pie,  which has snickers,  chocolate pudding, and cool whip.  I can make that like one non baking fool. 

 If you are not a garlic lover then: 1.  I'm sorry,  your wrong. 2. Just omit it and have Spicy Shrimp Fried Rice.   If you don't like it spicy,  then don't even read this recipe and order Plain Fried Rice from your local Chinese Cookery.  And order some wonton soup.  And drop it off at my house. NOW

I am so about the " " these days.  When I say "Fried" Rice,  I mean..it ain't fried.  It's just brown rice.  The rest is fried,  I guess.  I cannot get down with frying in heavy oil.




Spicy Garlic Shrimp "Fried" Rice
 Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Serves: 4 (1/2 cup rice,   3 ounce shrimp,  1 cup of vegetables) servings


Content Breakdown By Serving:
Calories: 394
Fat 9.5
Carbs: 22 (I omitted the carbs from the vegetables,  since they are not dense vegetables)
Protein: 26

Ingredients:
2 cups brown rice
1 1/2 pounds of shrimp, cleaned and tails removed
1 bag frozen vegetables of choice (I used birds eye red peppers, diced carrots, onions, asapragus and carrots)
Note: If your a show off with unlimited time,  use all fresh vegetables
3 large Green Squash
8 cloves of garlic
1/2 white onion
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp sesame oil, divided
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tsp olive oil or coconut oil
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tbsp fresh or ground ginger (your preference)
Salt and pepper for seasoning
Green onions for serving


Directions:
1.  Cook the rice according to the package directions.
2. While the rice is cooking,  heat 1 tsp of olive oil over medium high heat in a deep skillet.
3.  Cut the green squash into 1/2 inch thick slices and begin sauteing.  Season with salt and pepper.
4.  Dice the onion and all of the garlic and set aside.
5.  Flip the green squash occasionally,  cooking until slightly softened,  7-10 minutes.
6.  Add the onions and continue to saute until translucent. 
7.  If you bought steam fresh vegetables,  steam them half of the time the bag recommends in the microwave.  Then open bag and pour into skillet with all other vegetables.  Season with salt and pepper and red pepper flakes.
8.  Allow to cook until all of the water is removed.  Once the water is cooked out,  add garlic and cook for 2-3 more minutes--making sure the garlic doesn't burn.
9.   While garlic is cooking in a bowl mix soy sauce,  1 tbsp sesame oil,  2 tbsp rice wine vinegar,  and ginger.  Mix well with a whisk.
10.  Pour half of the mixture over the vegetables and remove the vegetables from pan, setting aside.
11.  Add shrimp to the same pan you used for the vegetables with remaining sesame oil.
12.  Once the sesame oil has cooked out,  add the remaining sauce mixture.  Cook 2-3 minutes until shrimp appears pink and cooked through.
13.  Plate with 1/2 cup brown rice,  1 cup vegetables,  and 3-4 ounce of shrimp.  Garnish with green onions.





No comments:

Post a Comment