Monday, June 9, 2014

Deconstructed California Roll

I was first introduced to Sushi when I was a freshmen in College.  I think that's when it really became popular amongst my generation,  2005.  I didn't love it at first,  but soon I became a sushi monster.  I love all sushi,  except eel--something about the texture.  I can't dig that texture.    I love sushi so much,  that I overeat it.  I can't just order one roll,  I need more than one.  That's a lot of damn rice.  

So,  I came up with this salad after exploring some recipes online.  This is a simple,  fresh and clean take on sushi that eliminates the over exposure to white rice.    This is also easy to make at home!  I made this as a four person serving,  so I could individually Tupperware it up for the week.  I prep my meals on Sunday, that's how I roll--ja feel?  You could however make it for four and serve it immediately.

If you are strict Paleo,  eliminate the brown rice.  If your like me who eats carbs as a normal part of every meal,   then keep it.  Simple as that.  

Deconstructed California Roll
 Prep- 10 minutes
Cook: 38 minutes
Serves: 4
 


Ingredients:
1 lb shrimp,  cleaned and devined
2 cucumbers, peeled and chopped
2 Hearts of Romaine,  cleaned and diced
2 avocados,  cut in half and cut lengthwise
1 tbsp sesame seeds, divided into fourths
1 cup of  dry brown rice plus 2 cups water for cooking (or steam fresh frozen brown rice)
Salt and pepper, for seasoning

Dressing:
1 tsp Toasted Sesame Oil
3 tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
1 Tbsp Low Sodium Soy Sauce

Directions
1.   Cook 1 cup of brown rice according to the package directions.  When done,  (about 30 minutes unless you are using the steam fresh frozen kind--which is super convenient)   allow to cool so 1/2 cup can be put on each salad (freeze the rest or use in another recipe).
2. Wash, cut,  and run your romaine through your salad spinner (or dry it by hand if your stuck in 1998).
3.  Peel and slice your cucumber.
4.  Arrange your lettuce in one large bowl,  or in 4 individual servings.
5.  Layer cucumber on top.
6. Top each salad with 1/2 cup cold brown rice.
7.  If you are serving right away,  cut both avocados in half.  If you are saving some for the week,  only cut one avocado for what you plan to eat immediately and cut the rest as needed for each salad.
8.  After removing the Avocado pit,  make long slices the length of the avocado.  Scoop on top of romaine and cucumber with a spoon.  Arrange so it's pretty like in my picture.
9.  Spray a medium saucepan with coconut or olive oil and heat for 1-2 minutes over medium high heat.
10.   Throw in shrimp and season with salt and pepper.  Cook shrimp on each side for about 2-3 minutes.  Make sure you do not over cook,  otherwise the shrimp will be like shoe leather.
11.  While shrimp is cooking,  mix your dressing together and whisk in a bowl.
12.  Top each serving of salad (if your doing it my way) with 3 ounces of shrimp.
13.  Pour dressing over top.
14.  Garnish with sesame seeds.







No comments:

Post a Comment