Well my temporary insanity for red sauce based foods has passed. So, I'd like to share this recipe. It's clean, paleo, yada yada. Your not sacrificing taste on this one. You could eat it on a roll with some melted cheese if you want, but I liked it without all that. With that being said, I'm not judging you if you do eat it on a roll with cheese. I live for rolls. Seeded ones specifically. I limit them however, otherwise I'd eat a samwich 3 times a day everyday. If loving rolls is wrong, I ain't right.
Sausage and Peppers Italiano
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
1 pound (about 6 links) Sweet Sausage/Hot Spicy Sausage mix (I buy the brand that has 3 of each in it)
1 red pepper, cut into strips
1 green pepper, cut into strips
1 yellow pepper, cut into strips
1 pound of sliced and cleaned white mushrooms
1 medium white onion, diced
3-4 cloves of garlic, diced
1 20 or more ounce can of diced tomatoes, with juice
1 tsp or more of red pepper flakes
1 tbsp of Oregano
1 tbsp of Fresh Parsley (can used dried but I think fresh ingredients have better taste), and more for garnish
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Grated Romano Cheese for Garnish
1. Preheat a pan with 1 tsp of oil over medium high heat.
2. While the pan is preheating cut sausage into 1-2 inch slices.
3. Sautee 5-7 minutes until the outside is crispy brown.
5. In the same pan add your peppers and onions, allowing to sear in the fat from the sausage for about 7-9 minutes--until slightly browned.
6. Add mushrooms to the same pan and do the same--allowing them to slightly brown.
7. After all vegetables are browned add all seasonings, and season lightly with salt and pepper.
9. Pour in entire can of diced tomatoes with juice. Add back in the sausage and stir.
10. Cover with lid and reduce the heat to low. Cook on low for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the sausage is no longer pink aside.
11. Serve, garnishing with cheese and parsley.