Thursday, April 21, 2016

Glazed Asian Chicken Meatballs with Tuxedo Sesame Seeds

I prep my meals like clock work every Sunday.  I usually write everything in my phone Saturday that I need to buy in the grocery store Sunday.  I'll look at different websites or cook books in my house then kind of get creative with my own ideas.  In my living room the far side is lined with shelves which are part of the house,  so my mom gave me about 100 old cook books to line the shelves.  It's really cool to look at some 80's cook books to get ideas.  I really like doing that.    I work late on Saturday nights so I usually sleep in a little bit Sunday,  then have my coffee, and head right to the gym or grocery store.   

After that I prep all my meals for at least four days.  It helps me spend less money and stay on track.  With that being said, I sometimes struggle to eat all of the meals I prep because I get tired of it.  One thing I've found I never get tired of,  anything Asian inspired.  This recipe is the so good,  and so fast.  It's perfect for prepping with white or brown rice,  and some sort of roasted veggie.  Quick and easy give you the ability to do a little more Sunday Funday with this nice NJ Weather we've been having lately..... don't judge me,  I'm an out door day drinker kind of girl.


Asian Chicken Meatballs with Tuxedo Sesame Seeds
Prep: 12 minutes
Cook time: 10-15 minutes
Serves: 5 services of 3-4 meatballs, depending on the size you make.

Ingredients:
1lb ground chicken
2 large chunks of ginger
2 cloves garlic
1 medium size shallot
2 tbsp milk
1 egg
1 tbsp Toasted Sesame Oil
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 tsp red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
1 large bunch of green onions, bottoms and tops removed
Tuxedo Sesame Seeds for sprinkling


For the glaze:
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup oyster sauce
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tbsp Toasted Sesame Oil
Grated ginger


Another large bunch of green onions for serving

Directions:
1.  Prepare all the fresh ingredients: remove tops and bottoms of the green onions and chop. Set half aside.  Dice the garlic and shallot veryyyy tiny.
2. In a large bowl add: ground chicken, garlic, shallot, milk, egg, sesame oil,  a pinch of salt and pepper,  red pepper flakes, half the green onions (mix of bottoms and tops), and Panko bread crumbs.
3. Use a grater and grate ginger over top mixture into the bowl.
4. Mix well with hands but do not over mix--just until well incorporated.
5. Place in fridge for 10 minutes to let set.
6. About 8 minutes after placing meatball mixture in fridge heat 1 tbsp of oil over medium high heat. When just about smoking, begin rolling mini palm size meatballs and dropping them in the hot pan.
7. Cook in two batches so you do not over crowd the pan.  Cook meatballs for about 4-5 minutes per side until crispy brown--a little less if you like them less well done.
8. When the first batch is almost done combine all of the glaze ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Whisk well throughout  so it does not stick or burn. Cook for 5 minutes or so or until thickened.
9.   When the first batch is done remove from cooking pan and drop directly into the glaze. Roll around covering each meatball and then place on a plate with a cover to keep warm.
10. Repeat with second batch until all meatballs are done.


Serve over rice, with scallions and a pinch of sesame seeds for presentation!  Also,  serve with additional glaze for those who like their food with more dressing---I do not.  I like dry and plain-- hence why I use hardly any condiments.

No comments:

Post a Comment