Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Baked Coconut Chicken Nuggets

I really enjoy a good chicken nugget.  I also really enjoy when I can just eat them cold.  These nuggets of mine have a really nice balance of sweet and salty.  They are light and airy,  so you don't feel too bogged down by eating them.  The chicken nugget in itself is almost perfectly balanced with fat, carbs, and protein so you can feel comfortable having this as a prepped meal.    

When creating this I had the thought in my head that I needed something quick, easy, and that I could eat cold.  All day long during work I am in and out of schools and moving about.  I never really have time to sit down and eat.   So,  I really do need something I can carry around with a cold pack in my lunch box.  I also need something that's small enough to eat while driving.

This meal is all of the above for me.... I ate it for 2 weeks straight.

This recipe is super easy,   And pretty quick for how fabulous they turn out.  The chicken nuggets are tasty enough that kids would definitely eat them,  but healthy enough to trick the little suckers.  



Baked Coconut Chicken Nuggets
Prep Time:  20 minutes
Cook Time:  40-45 minutes
Servings:  Roughly 4

Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds of Chicken Breast
1/2 cup of Bob's Red Mill Unsweetened Coconut
1/4 cup of Shredded Sweetened Coconut
1/2 cup of Panko Bread Crumbs
2 eggs, beaten
Pinch of Salt
Pinch of Pepper
Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
Spray Coconut Oil


Directions
1.   Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

2.   While the oven is preheating cut a piece of parchment paper to fit your baking sheet.

3. Clean and cut the chicken into chunks similar size chunks (so they cook evenly).  Dry with paper towels and sprinkle with salt, pepper,  and red pepper flakes on both sides.

4.   Set up a two plate and one bowl station.  On one plate mix the two different coconuts,  on the second plate put your panko bread crumbs,  and in the bowl beat two eggs together well.

5.  Set up your station in this order:  Chicken on cutting board,  egg,  panko bread crumbs, coconut,  and baking sheet. 


7.  Coat a nugget in egg,  then panko,  then back in egg,  then lastly in the coconut mixture.

8.  Place on the baking sheet and continue process until all off the nuggets are coated. 


9.  Flash freeze quickly for 10 minutes on the baking sheet to help the mixture stick to the nuggets.  Spritz with coconut oil spray.

10.  After ten minutes place the chicken in the hot oven on the top rack.  Allow to cook for 40 minutes,  turning once and spraying opposite side with coconut oil halfway through cooking process.


No comments:

Post a Comment