Monday, January 11, 2016

Roasted Lemon Parmesan Broccoli

Every time I don't blog for awhile,  I apologize.  Let me cut the bullshit here. I just need to get my act together.  I promise to do better.

I love grab and go snacks I don't have to heat up. Because of my job I drive all day long practically,  from one school to the next.  I love that about my job,  but the downside is definitely eating enough throughout the day.   I would go 5 or 6 hours without eating,  and end up binging either when I got home or something from a drive through on the way home.  In the last 8 months I've gained A LOT of weight, which is whole different blog post entirely.  
In the last couple of weeks I've definitely gotten it together with meal prep.  I was asking Talia last week for some high protein low fat snack suggestions,  because according to my Macro's my fat was too high everyday.  I was eating a lot of cheese and whole milk,  because they could be eaten on the go at a red light.  Then,  a light bulb went off,  this broccoli is killer hot or cold.  It's an easy pack and go as a cold snack,  added to a salad, or heated up as a side to a meat.  Calorie and fat content are low,  while flavor is high.  

It's an easy grab and go with your fingers,  or  sit and enjoy with a fork.  It's less then 5 ingredients, and its simple.  Also,  it's made up of almost entirely the things you have in your home!



Lemon Parmesan Broccoli
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 40-45 minutes
Serves: 4


Ingredients

Cooking spray or grease for the pan
3-4 pounds of broccoli
2 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
1 1/2 lemons
The zest of 2 lemons (zest before you juice)
1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano (this makes all the difference)
liberal (big) pinches of salt and pepper


Directions:

1.  Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

2.  While the oven is heating spray a large cast iron skillet or baking sheet with cooking spray.

3.  Remove the long stems of the broccoli,  but leave just enough stem where you can still pick each floret up by a small stem (in case you eat it with your fingers from the fridge...it's that good!!)

4.   Place broccoli on pan or in skillet and toss with oil,  and large pinches of salt and pepper.  Spread out evenly so the none of the broccoli is on top of each other.


5.  Place in heated oven and allow to cook for about 30 minutes,  then flip over and allow to cook an additional 10.  When totally done the broccoli should be brown, crispy, and roasted.

6.   While the broccoli is roasting finely grate pecorino romano cheese and lemon zest.   I zest the lemon right into the pile of cheese using the same grater for easy clean up.

7.  Once the broccoli is done remove from the oven,  and immediately mix in cheese, lemon zest, and juice.

SERVE.  OR EAT IT ALL PIPPING HOT WITH YOUR FINGERS.  And regret it later when your fingers are burnt and you have no broccoli snacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment