Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Shredded Honey Chipotle Chicken

I have become obsessed with my dutch oven.  My x bought it for me,  and aside from that part--it kicks ass.  I used to feel this way about the crock pot.  No longer.  I never even touch my crock pot these days.  I like that the dutch oven allows you to brown meat and then just put it in the oven and move on with your day.  This aspect of Sunday cooking allows me to quickly brown meat,  put it in the oven,  and get back to my one true love--- Marathons of Law and Order SVU.


This recipe is spicy,  I cannot lie to you about that.  If you do not like spice only use half of the chipotle in adobo and no Red Pepper Flakes.   If you like it spicier,  simply add more red pepper flakes.  This isn't so spicy it hurts,  but it definitely is not for people who puke when a little bit of spice hits their life.  As the iconic spice girls once wisely said "SPICE UP YOUR LIFE...COME ON EVERYBODY...."

Shredded Honey Chipotle Chicken
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Serves:  6


Ingredients
3 large cleaned chicken breast (about 2- 2 1/2 pounds)
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp red chili paste (can find in the Italian section near the tomato paste in a tube)
3 tbsp honey, and some for serving
4 ounces chicken broth
1 can chipolte peppers in adobo
3 garlic cloves
1 small onion, diced
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Directions
1.  Heat a pan or a dutch oven with two tablespoons of olive oil until searing.

2.  While the pan is heating set your oven to 275 degrees.

3.  Salt and pepper the chicken breasts and add to the searing pan.  Brown on each side for 3-5 minutes.

4.   While the chicken is browning add the honey, red chili paste, can of peppers in adobo, and garlic cloves to a food processor.  Pulse until smooth.


5.  Once chicken is browned add your food processor mixture,  the onion,  and the chicken broth to the dutch oven.  Note: If using a crock pot,   transfer chicken to crockpot and add the wet ingredients in then).

6.  Sprinkle in red pepper flakes and chili powder (I like to put it on the top of the chicken before putting it in the oven because it makes a nice red crust).
7.  Cover and place in oven for 2 hours. Note: Crockpot cook on low for 6-7 hours.

8.  After 2 hours remove from oven,  remove lid and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.

9.  Shred with two forks and mix in well with the juices in the pan,  and drizzle with a dash more honey for flavor!


I served mine with sauteed asparagus and 1/2 cup of brown rice.  I actually prepped it for the week, so I have this meal to eat all week.  


No comments:

Post a Comment