Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Maple Mustard Chicken over Zoodles

This recipe is so decadent,  you won't even know you are eating clean/paleo.  The zoodles are a personal choice,  and could absolutely be substituted with brown/white rice or quinoa.  I just happen to eat a lot of brown rice,  and I needed a break from the norm.  Plus my rice cooker is acting stupid and making rice soup mush instead of rice.  Ah,  the problems of the cooking middle class with fancy gadgets.

Now,  I have no problem with people eating grains.  I eat grains like it's my job,  fo realz. However,  I needed a change.  I am not a proponent of the low carb or no carb diet.  But,  to each his own.  I believe that not one thing is perfect for two different people.  So if you wanna make the zoodles,  go ham my man.  If you wanna eat white pasta,  do that too.  Don't matter to me much.

Maple Mustard Chicken Over Zoodles
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Served: 5 (4 ounce chicken servings)


Ingredients for the Chicken:
2lb cleaned boneless skinless chicken breast
1/4 cup maple syrup (no sugar added, only real maple syrup)
1/2 cup whole grain mustard (i mixed two of my favorites together)
2 1/2 tbsp of rice wine vinegar
1 tsp olive oil
salt and pepper for seasoning
fresh rosemary for garnish

For the Zoodles
2 Large Green Squash/Zucchini
A zoodler (any brand)


Directions:
1. Clean and dice your chicken into bite size pieces and season with salt and pepper.
2. While you are doing this heat a saucepan over medium high heat with 1 tsp of oil.
3. Add chicken to saucepan and allow to cook 5 minutes on each side,  until slightly cooked and charred.
4.  While your chicken is cooking whisk together maple syrup, rice wine vinegar, and whole grain mustard.
5.  After you have whisked your sauce together,  add the maple mustard sauce to the sauce pan and allow to cook with chicken for additional 10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
6. While the chicken is cooking in the sauce,  make zoodles with your zoodler.  I peeled one squash,  and left the skin on the other for extra texture.   Again,  you can use a grain instead.


Garnish with fresh rosemary.
Serve 4 ounces or so of chicken and sauce over 1 1/2 cups of zoodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment