Monday, October 27, 2014

Spicy Chicken Stew

I don't even really know what to say about this besides I love soup and stew.  All kinds.  The only kind of soup I don't fancy is gazpacho.  I've tried, believe me.  It's cold.  Cereal should be cold.  Not soup.  Maybe one of you can rock my world with your famous gazpacho,  but for now no I don't like it.  I dare you to wow me. 

This recipe is really  a one pot wonder.  Last Thursday Kevin made chilli,  which I also love.  The spice in it was awesome,  and it really inspired this recipe.  Kevin and I are kind of on par with our cooking abilities,  except that he thinks outside the box even more than I do.  His cooking is always unique,  and yummy.  I've never been unhappy with something he's made me.  And come on, he's a man who can cook.  What is their not to love?  You don't have an answer for that. Well, neither do I.  With that being said,  thanks bub for the inspiration.

The stewed tomatoes in this are awesome because they add a touch of sweetness.  The sweet and spicy really does a number on your tongue that's awesome.  This recipe does call for flour,  but think of the serving size.  This stew could serve 10 people, so the flour in it is really minimal in comparison with the entire recipe.  If you want to make it just soup, omit the flour and butter (rue).

Add potatoes and wow a crowd, or like me make the whole pot Sunday to eat during the week.  It made four 2 cups containers,  plus one wonton soup container.  This is a total side note, but I have an obsession with Wonton Soup and the containers which they come in.  I'd eat it every morning for breakfast if I had a resident Chinese Wonton Soup maker in my house.  A girl can dream....



Spicy Chicken Stew
Prep: 10 minutes, plus 30 minutes for chicken to cool
Cook: 3 hours, 40 minutes (roughly)
Serves:  8-10


Ingredients:
1 Whole Chicken,  4-5 pounds
6 8 ounce cans of Sliced Stewed Tomatoes
2 cups Chicken Stock (homemade if you have it)
2lb of Sliced White Button Mushrooms
1 bag of Petite Carrots
2 Medium White Onions
1 Bag of Celery, Cleaned with stems removed
4 large Cloves of Garlic
1 tsp olive oil
2 tbsp Paprika, divided
1 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes (or less if you can't handle the heat)
3 Large Bay Leaves
4 tbsp Butter
1/2 cup Flour (you could try to use Almond Meal, but I can't guarantee that will make a rue)
Salt and pepper for seasoning
Parsley for Serving

Directions:
1. Heat a large stock pot over medium high heat with 1 tsp of olive oil.
2. While your oil is slowly heating clean and dice: celery, onions, and garlic.
3. In the pot add in Mushrooms, Onions, Carrots (I keep mine whole since they cook down),  and Celery.  Do not add garlic just yet.
4. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Allow to cook about 4-5 to minutes stirring throughout to avoid burning.
6. While your veggies are sauteing clean and wash your chicken, removing the bag inside or the liver and shit.  Older people enjoy chicken livers, if you know one you can save it for them, otherwise chuck it.
7. After your veggies have sauteed in the olive oil add in your garlic.  Season with 1 tbsp Paprika and 1 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes.
8. Allow garlic to cook 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
9. Once fragrant,  place your chicken breast side up on top of the vegetables.  Season with more salt and pepper,  and the remainder of the paprika.
10.  Pour all stewed tomatoes and all chicken stock into pot.
11.  Add in 3 Bay Leaves (no matter how many you use remember the number so you can remove them at the end).
12. Place lid on top and allow to boil over medium high heat for 3 hours.
13.  After 3 hours remove the chicken to a separate plate to cool for picking.  Make sure you get all of the bones.
14.   Allow chicken to cool uncovered.
15.  In the microwave heat 4 tbsp of butter.  After it is melted whisk in 1/2 cup flour.   Once it becomes tight it is now a rue.  Drop this into the soup and allow it to continue to boil. In about 30 minutes, the rue will have thickened your soup into a stew.
16. Once the chicken is cooled pull it apart with your hands,  discarding bones and fat.  
17.  Place chicken back in stew to heat through,  about 10 minutes.
18. Serve with parsley as a garnish


No comments:

Post a Comment