Philly Stuffed Peppers
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook Time- 40 minutes
3 Green Peppers, stems removed and cleaned--cut in halves
1 small white onion
1 container button mushrooms, cleaned and slices
6 slices buffalo mozzarella or whole milk mozzarella
1 lb 8/20 ground beef
1 tbsp olive oil
Red Chili Flakes, if you like spice (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Bring one quart of water to a boil and place your halved green peppers into the water for 5-7 minutes.
2. Remove from water and drop directly into an ice bath--a bowl with ice and water. This will stop the cooking.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
5. While the oven is preheating saute your mushrooms and onions in 1/2 tbsp of olive oil over medium high heat until they are not as firm and onions are translucent.
4. Remove from pan and set aside.
5. Cook ground beef without oil in the pan until it is no longer pink. Drain off excess fat.
6. Mix onions and mushrooms back in and season with salt and pepper.
7. On a foil lined baking sheet place six pepper halves on their "backs" so the opening part is facing up.
8. Stuff 1/6 in the mixture in each. Drizzle stuffed peppers with remaining 1/2 tbsp olive oil.
9. Cook for 20 minutes like this.
10. Switch the oven to broil and remove the peppers.
11. Place one slice of buffalo mozzarella cheese on each stuffed pepper and return to a high rack in the oven to melt the cheese for approximately 3-5 minutes.