Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Paleo Honey Mustard Chicken with Sweet Potato Butternut Squash Hash

Oh my goodness, where has the time gone.  I have been MIA.  Sorry, it was all the moving and working.  I work way too many jobs.  Some days,  I wonder why I don't just work one full time job and no little side jobs.  I remember being in college and thinking "Oh my god, I cannot wait to only work Monday through Friday 9-5".  Yeah, no,  that bubble burst fast.  Oh well, I digress...

So, I think a lot of people think Paleo is hard or has difficult ingredients to find.  Untrue, this recipe is quick, easy, painless, and has ingredients you may already have in your home.  No "coconut aminos" (whatever that is) here.   You'll find if you follow my blog you can do Paleo in a cinch.  This recipe is hardy, sweet, and tangy.

 Paleo Honey Mustard Chicken with Sweet Potato Butternut Squash Hash
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 7 hours (crockpot)
Serves: 3


Ingredients for Honey Mustard Chicken
3 large chicken breasts, raw
1/3 cup olive oil or coconut oil
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup grainy mustard (I prefer ground mustard seed, they sell that at shoprite)
1 tbsp salt, 1 tsp pepper

Ingredients for Sweet Potato Butternut Squash Hash
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 large white onion, diced 
1/2-1lb butternut squash, peeled and diced (I buy it precut because AINT NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT
1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
Cooking Spray for pan

Directions for Chicken

1.  Place 3 chicken breasts at the bottom of a crockpot, turn the crockpot to low.
2.  Salt and pepper the chicken.
3.  In a bowl whisk together honey, mustard, and olive oil.  
4. Pour over chicken.
5. Cover chicken with lid and allow to cook on low for 6 hours.
6. After 6 hours shred the chicken with two forks. 
7. Mix everything together so your remaining sauce incorporates and turn your crock pot to keep warm.

 Directions for Hash
1. About an hour before your chicken is done preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
2. Spray the bottom of a rimmed cookie sheet with olive oil.
3. Place diced onion, butternut squash, and sweet potato on the cookie sheet.
4. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
5. Mix everything together with your hands.
6. Cook for 1 hour, flipping occasionally,  or until sides are crisp.

Serve :)  

The hash would be excellent with eggs as a sweet and savory deal in the morning!


No comments:

Post a Comment